AQUAMAN movie review


Aquaman is a popular superhero of DC Comics because he also appeared in animation Superfriends during the days of Saturday cartoons line up. I tried collecting his regular series back in the 90’s but the story is not appealing to me so I stop.
Magdagdag ng caption

Years later, a new look of Aquaman sporting a long hair and beard was launched. The only difference was he has a hook for a left hand when it was cut off. It was the beginning of a bad-ass Aquaman. It also suits the character because he was the best of both worlds. His father was from the surface and his mother is Atlantean. Aquaman also has this rebel image that defies the westernized world.

Although the current image in the comics based the character from his old look and with a trident, he remained bad-ass and was probably the coolest character during the New 52 arc. For the movie, casting Jason Momoa was better than I expected. Although I expect Momoa to bring another DC character Lobo to life, I am contented with what he did as Aquaman in the DC Cinematic Universe. He was also rebellious and he follows the look from the long hair Aquaman except that his comic version was blond.

James Wan was also a visionary. I never thought he could direct a superhero flick. I usually associate him with horror movies.  I am glad that they made a good movie of the character that can make it more appealing to the modern audience. But putting my analytical mind at work, I just wonder if Momoa was cast to make the character popular. What I like with this movie was that superhero flicks can be an adventure movie. It’s like Tombraider or Indiana Jones because Arthur Curry, the real name of Aquaman is looking for the lost trident of Atlantis. Also, it also parallels issues of diversity among nations for example.

The best part of this movie for me is not about Aquaman since he was already made his debut in the Justice League movie. The best part was the origin story of Black Manta. I've been seeing him as super villain in the Super Friends cartoon series but in this movie, he diverts from just being a potential villain. The Black Manta suit according to actor Yahya Abdul - Makeem II was about about 100 pounds heavy. I also like the look that patterned after the Injustice game. For the IMAX experience, it made a different movie experience although it may only be applied to specific scene. It is still enjoyable even without 3D glasses.

For the first time, a Philippine premiere was graced by the actors Jason Momoa, Amber Heard and director James Wan. This premiere was held at IMAX Mall of Asia. Aquaman open in theaters December 13. Thanks to Warner Bros. Philippines for the ticket. For more geeky and quality movie reviews, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts