Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters movie review

Story: Taking place after a familiar tale, Hansel and Gretel got older and took a career of witch hunting for bounty.
Poster photo courtesy of Solar Entertainment Corp.

Review: The Brothers Grimm tales are mostly mix up as fairy tales but if you read the original manuscript, you will think otherwise. When you say grim, you know it is twisted. That is the kind of stories the brothers Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm tells their readers.

I got to read  some original Grimm stories when my cousin bought one. As expected, it is like reading a new story. If I read these stories as a child, I might get nightmares because I got trouble sleeping with my eyes close.

This new tale is a re-imagined  after the fateful day when Hansel and Gretel defeated the witch who tried to eat them. It is only logical to see that after their dreadful experience, they can kill witches using their wits and developed skills in weaponry and fighting.

I like the idea being done to make this story possible. There some of things concerns me about this re-imagined tale. I have no problem with their somehow advance weaponry but their fighting style is too Asian for me. I would rather see them use European martial arts like the savate or pankration.

Besides that, it was a really fun movie. It is not as original as Van Helsing or The Brothers Grimm but it was very cool. Jeremy Renner did well playing the part of Hansel because of his previous roles Marvel's The Avengers and MI4 Ghost Protocol but the real asset here was Gemma Arterton. She really kick ass in this movie just like her role as Io in the remake Clash Of The Titans.

This movie is also in 3D. I suggest you see it in cinemas so you can enjoy the viewing experience. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters opens in Philippine cinemas January 23, 2013 and is released locally by Solar Entertainment Corporation and distributed by United International Pictures. 

MTRCB Rating: PG13.
Movie screened at SM City North EDSA IMAX.

Comments

Popular Posts