Movie Review: PACIFIC RIM

Story: The Kaiju(Japanese. Giant monsters) from another dimension invades Earth. The only force that can stop them are the Jaegers(German for hunters).
Photo taken by Mark Cerbo

Review: When I first saw the trailer, it reminded me of the mecha(Japanese name for robots) from the anime genre and the Kaiju which was used many times in Godzilla movies. At first I find it corny but when I found out Guillermo del Toro was directing, I had high hopes for it.

I really like how the Jaegers are operated. It was unique even if it has similarities to mecha genre. Although it was not the first to introduced mechs vs. monsters, I enjoyed the action sequence. Each Jaeger represents a country they were manufactured. It was completely balanced since the countries represented are possible to recreate such kind of weapons of mass destructions.

The pilots are also unique since they are selected which reminds me of Gundam newtypes but different. The suits they wear are ideal but the U.S. Jaeger pilot suits are kinda similar to EVA pilot's. The Kaijus also are similar to the kaijus of the Japanese movies.
 
I like how Guillermo del Toro made the movie like how I enjoyed his earlier work, Hellboy. Speaking of Hellboy, Ron Perlman is also part of the movie. Pacific Rim seem to pay tribute to the popular mecha-kaiju genre of the Japanese movies.
 
Pacific Rim is now showing in Philippine cinemas and was released and distributed by Warner Bros. I watched it last July 10 at IMAX Mall of Asia. There are some good details while watching it in 3D at the start of the movie that are in good detail like you were immersed in the scene.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts