Disney's Cinderella movie review

When I got the material with Cinderella's adaptation from 2D to motion picture, I have mixed thoughts. Will Disney change the story like what they did with Maleficent? Or a carbon copy of the fairy tale.
Photo courtesy of Disney Pictures

When I decided to watch Cinderella, I thought it was a gamble for me and Disney. I figured, they may be desperate enough that they had to make a short movie after the events in Frozen so there will be a sure audience. My only motivation was Frozen since I am already familiar with Cinderella.

But this Cinderella is different from the animated movie Disney made. But it is not a Grimm original. Disney has a reputation to promote family oriented movies. Not only it was a little different, it was made more interesting because it was made more realistic than the story in the animation.

The animated movie was fast-phased and fun but it was not appealing in today's audience for a live-action movie.  For the characters, I will start with the stepmother. She is wicked but not ugly. It shows an irony that people may be beautiful outside but ugly inside in terms of behavior.Played very well by Cate Blanchett.

Helena Bonham Carter did a remarkable job bringing the fairy godmother to life. Her flexibility fits well with the role. Just like Cate Blanchett, both of them didn't look old and it was a good thing so we won't expect them just like in the animation.

The dialogue in the movie also upgraded that it can also appeal to new movie viewers. I am glad they have a script not copy-paste from the 1950 animation. Overall, since Alice In Wonderland and Maleficent in Disney movies that come to life, I like Cinderella best. I only wished they do live action of other Disney animation that is not a fairy tale and what I have in mind is Atlantis. I can only imagine the submarine Ulysses in real life.

Back to Cinderella, the most important lesson here is forgiveness. The word itself has powerful impact in the movie. For more of my reviews, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts