Independence Day: Resurgence movie review

The first ID4 movie was nothing special but it became a sci-fi classic because it is one of the first that shows the whole might of the human race battled an alien armada. The dog fight between an F/A-18 Hornet and an Alien Marauder is nothing you see in every sci-fi story.
Photo courtesy of 20th Century Fox

I never thought I enjoyed watching Independence Day: Resurgence. Here is the list of bullet points why I like the ID4 sequel:

  • I thought there would be no sequel but here it is. I thought the sequel was a bad idea but the story was thought through and planned well.
  • The movie brought back old characters even though Will Smith's character is no longer part of the story.
  • For the new characters, it adds a legacy feel in the story.
  • There is another variation of the aliens.
  • The humans adopted the technology left from by the previous invasion reminds me of Macross when they also acquire the protoculture energy from the alien battle fortress.
  • Retelling and revelation of the last counter-attack that happened in another continent.
  • This time, it is not just about the invasion. There are more developments in the story.
  • I miss those aerial battles. But the aerial battles in the first movie is still the best.
  • I am glad I am watching the ID4 sequel in IMAX.

Independence Day: Resurgence is a good follow-up from the first movie. I am hoping that they will expand the story more like in another Emmerich/Devlin movie Stargate when it was continued in a television series.

Movie was screened at SM MOA IMAX. For more sci-fi movie reviews, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts