Maleficent movie review

I first found out about Sleeping Beauty after watching Disney's 1959 movie when it was reopened in cinemas during my childhood. Years later, I found out that there are many versions of the fairy tale and it influenced pop cultures.
Photo courtesy of Walt Disney Studios

This version shows focuses on Maleficent. When I first published an article about the photo revealing Angelina Jolie as Maleficent a year ago, I got excited and curious the same time. My interest in this tale is purely an out-of-context reference. It was suggested that these tales were adapted into movies by Disney as a metaphor  in relevance to Da Vinci Code. Which is why Robert Langdon always wears his Mickey Mouse watch.

Going back to Maleficent, it will probably change the way you see the tale you loved. Think of it as an alternate reality of the series. The fairy tale is not new to alternate stories. Brothers Grimm version far different(can I say gruesome?) from the original by Charles Perrault. All I can say was that this version is not you would like to tell your kids before bedtime.

There are also alternate versions in popular culture that can be tolerated. In ABC's Once Upon A Time, the story was retold in in a modern day but fictional town of Storybrooke. Anime series Sailor Moon also adapted the tale when Sailor Moon ends up in a deep sleep and was awaken by a kiss by Mamoru Chiba. In Kingdom Hearts, a video game collaboration of Disney Interactive and Square Enix, Maleficent leads the league of Disney villains.

I have mixed emotions about the movie. There is a part of me that is a purist but there is a part of me that likes the new story.Either way, I enjoyed the special effects. For the story, it can be enjoyed for the whole family. I only watched it at a 2D screening so I can't say if it's good in 3D but watching it in regular 2D is sufficient for me. All you need is a good seats in a cinema you are comfortable watching. For more quality  movie reviews in a geek perspective, follow this blog. Like my page, the L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

  1. Jolie hardly ever puts in a bad performance, but man, I just wished they gave her more to do here. Good review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts