My Baptism Into Gunpla

During anime conventions, friends been asking me to join the scale modelling caravan of Gunpla Philippines. I said no because I had no experience in making one and secondly, I wish to build one with supervision with someone I know. They already finished building one.

In another convention early this year, I passed by because it was held at a mall where my family have Sunday lunch after church. They held caravans frequently because conventions hold their target market.

The event promoter suddenly ask me to sign up and build one. They said I have nothing to worry about since the parts are just snapped on. I gave it a shot since it's free anyway. After signing up and liking their page on Facebook, I immediately read the instructions. Did I just said read? The product is in Japanese but the instructions are illustrated with colors that even a kid can understand. After building and applied some lines using a ballpoint pen, I placed my Gunpla entry for display and waited until the end of the day to claim it. I may not win but I am proud of my first Gunpla build. It was not hard as it looks.

Gunpla is short for Gundam plastic since most of the products are all about Gundam and was manufactured by Japanese toy company Bandai. The one I first assembled with success was Gafran from Gundam Age-1 series. Gafran is also called an Unknown Enemy when the series started.

After a couple of months, another caravan was held again in the same mall during another anime convention. This time, it was a Genoace from the same series. Just like last time, I waited the end of the day to claim my Gunpla entry.

Early this month, there was no anime convention but there was a caravan in the toy department which I frequently go. I am glad that it was a Gundam Age-1 Normal. Most of these are just 1:144 scale Advance Grade. It is not articulated like the High Grade but it was nice to look at on my computer table.

The reason why the distributors of Bandai are having these caravans because they are sponsoring competitions for the advance builders. They not only building up fans over their Facebook page and promoting new products, they are making an awareness to new enthusiasts. One parent said while her child was making one Gunpla, "This is an interesting hobby. It can probably help her child to follow instructions. The Gunpla competition will be held on October 1-7 at Robinson Place Magnolia Atrium. For more info about Gunpla community in the Philippines, like Gundam Philippines on Facebook. For more on my geeky experiences, follow this blog or like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts