Fantastic Four(2015) movie review

I didn't raise my hopes up when I first found out about the movie reboot since I was not impressed when I saw Galactus is nothing but a cloud with a silhouette of his head shadowing in the horizon. But it is just a minor issue.

Fantastic Four is created by comics legends Stan Lee and the late Jack Kirby for Marvel Comics which debuted in Fantastic Four #1 cover dated November 1961. Coincidentally, their origin parallels that decade's U.S.-Soviet space race when the first human space flight was achieved by the Soviets.

Fantastic Four is the first Marvel superhero team of that generation and the longest (older than the Avengers and the X-Men). Marvel Comics created FF to compete with DC Comic's Justice League of America. What makes Fantastic Four unique to any known superhero team is that they are the first family of superheroes.

The reboot movie retells the origin of the four with Victor Von Doom. Unlike the original and the previous movies, the Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben are teenagers which were not far off from the Marvel Ultimates version. Unlike the previous, Reed Richards has no doctorate's degree yet. Instead of interstellar travel, the movie gave it an underdog status to Reed to make him instrumental to develop the interdimensional travel. I can understand the science of this because I am fascinated with the idea of alternate dimensions as theoretical physicist Dr. Michio Kaku speaks of in his lectures.

For the casting, they made some changes in the characters. Besides that the FF members are teenagers, Johnny Storm's ethnicity is black. I can understand this change as a minor thing because it will make the movie more inclusive and balanced. For the special effects, the powers are more fluidly real than the previous ones. I like the powers projected by Sue Storm, the rocky appearance of Thing is more realistic than the prosthetics used before, Johnny's flame on powers really looked like it flown off from the comic books and the stretching abilities of Reed combined with fighting techniques. This is why my favorite FF members are the Thing and The Human Torch

The only thing that didn't exceed my expectations was the story development. It got a good start but the climax can be made better. I also think Doom's appearance needs work too. I was wondering if FF production has long foresight regarding the franchise just like what is X-Men movie franchise is now doing as well as other Marvel cinematic titles. Expect no end credits scenes.

Did you agree with my review? Let me know what you think. Feel free to comment here. For more quality movie reviews, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook. Thanks to Twentieth Century Fox for the advance screening invitation.

Comments

Popular Posts