Creed movie review

I grew up watching all Rocky movies but after Rocky V and Rocky Balboa, I thought the franchise is over since the last two movies are not that good. The problem was is telling a good story that will transcend the previous sequel.
Photo credits: Warner Bros.

It was only recently that a Rocky spin-off movie was produced. Creed is a story of Adonis Johnson, who is the son of world heavyweight champion Apollo Creed who died in a match against Ivan Drago in Rocky IV before Don was born.

But he felt longing that he belong to the ring which is why he seek the help of Rocky Balboa, Apollo's rival and best friend because he felt he is the only one who can help and connect to. Because Rocky fought Creed thrice in a ring. Creed also coached Rocky when Mickey died in Rocky III.

When I first saw the trailer, it was promising. Michael B. Jordan's previous movie Fantastic Four didn't do well and he seems better in this movie. I am not keeping my hopes up but after watching Creed, it surpassed my expectations.

The story was delivered well. This Rocky spin-off is like a send-off to the Rocky franchise and passing on the legacy. This is probably the best performance of Stallone ever. Michael B. Jordan is able to redeem himself after FF movie remake and I don't mind if this will have another sequel.

As for the boxing, I am quite convinced that Jordan did well and trained for it. It made me think that he really had a background in the sport. It made me appreciate the sport more. If you are not a boxing fan, this movie will convert you. If you haven't seen any Rocky movie, that's OK. This is the best movie to start. If you want to see the Rocky movies, just watch Rocky I to IV. Skip V and Balboa. Rocky IV is best watched before Creed.

Besides Stallone, Phylicia Rashad reprises her role as Mary Anne Creed, Apollo's widow. Joining them is Tessa Thompson who plays Bianca, a singer/songwriter who is the love interest of Adonis and English pro-boxer former 3-time ABA heavyweight champion Anthony Bellew as boxing champ "Pretty" Ricky Conlan. Bellew did good acting here that I never thought he is really a boxer in real life.

This is probably the best movie I've seen this year and what better way to end 2015 than Creed. Besides Star Wars VII of course. For more movie reviews in relevance of popular culture, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts