The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies movie review

It was not long ago when it was announced that The Hobbit was now a go for Peter Jackson. Although I love his work in The Lord Of The Rings, I was having thoughts about the story being a trilogy. But I respect his point that he wanted it to be a prequel of LOTR. Yes, The Hobbit is not a prequel but it happened before LOTR. The Two Towers, Part 2 of LOTR, was longer than The Hobbit if you read the book.
Photo courtesy of MGM/New Line Cinema/Warner Bros. Phils.

But I got used to this just to see Middle Earth again on screen. I was so impressed with HFR 3D that made the movie so detailed that as if you can feel that you are in Laketown while Smaug breathes fire. At last, I can see Smaug as I imagined him in a live action movie.

As for the battle, it showed how bad-ass the elves and the dwarfs. You have seen Legolas and Thorin's band of dwarves in action, you got to see how an army would do. This part of the story started the tension of dwarves and elves in all fantasy stories to follow.

My basis for this review is the animated movie that was shown back in the 70's. My only concern here is how Bilbo was last seen before the movie ended. He got involved in an adventure not all hobbits have the privilege.

It is not my favorite story unlike The Lord Of The Rings but I can't help the feeling that it was "one last time" as Thorin said. That's the problem with J.R.R. Tolkien's world. It was only limited to these few stories and never continued by the family. But nevetheless, we have Tolkien to thank for introducing this kind of fantasy genre for all who can follow suit.

For more quality movie reviews in a geek fan's perspective, follow this blog or like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts